Blog Description

Be JOYFUL always, PRAY without ceasing, give THANKS in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thess 5:16-18

Friday, July 12, 2013

Introducing Jack Housley Michael Frantz

Well, I have A LOT of blogging to catch up on.  We've had birthdays and trips and lots of summer fun.  First though, I want to introduce you to our newest little guy.  It's hard to believe he is almost 2 months old and I'm just now getting this post done!  So goes life with 4 kids I guess... So without further ado here is how Jack Housley Michael Frantz entered the world (please feel free to just skip to the pics if you don't want all the details... I won't be offended!)

May 13th and 14th were exciting, adventurous days for the Frantz Family.  Michael and I went to my weekly checkup knowing if my platelets were "up" then I would go in to be induced that night.  My parents had come in the day before for Gloria's birthday and to keep the kids while we were at the hospital, so Michael and I just took the whole day as a relaxing date day.  We got the news around lunch time that my platelets were indeed up and we were instructed to call the hospital at 10pm to see if they had a bed for me to go in for the induction.  I had small contractions all day long, so I knew Jack Housley was getting ready to make his appearance, induction or not.

 We called at 10 pm and they didn't have a bed, and told us to call back at 11:30.  We called at 11:30 and were told they would have us a room ready in an hour, so off to the hospital we went!  We got settled in our room and they started me on a low dose of pitocin, and the nurse said they would increase it at 6 am.  All night I was having contractions, some fairly strong, about 5-10 minutes apart.  When the nurse came in at 6 am to raise the pitocin, I went ahead and asked for the epidural.  From experience with Madeline's birth I knew I didn't want a high dose of pitocin without an epidural if possible!  The nurse went to tell the Anesthesiologist I was ready for the epidural, and when she came back I asked her if my platelets had remained the same since that morning?  When she went to the computer to check a look came across her face immediately, and she didn't even have to tell me... I knew, they had dropped.  I had known this was always a possibility and felt God was preparing me a few weeks before to depend on his strength.  He was kind and brought to mind several passages I had read in the Bible recently about him always being near his children, and depending on his strength in my weakness (2 Corinthians 12:8-10; Isaiah 40; Psalm 18). So after the initial shock of facing a natural childbirth again, and a few tears, and the encouragement from my sweet husband (whose birthday it was by the way) I got it together.

My doctor, who wasn't even on call to deliver that day came in and said she would be with me the whole day.  I knew I didn't want pitocin any more and wanted to have the freedom to get up and labor without being in the bed.  I got my IV and everything unhooked and they let me get up walk around and to everyone's surprise I was already 8 cm.  At that point I gained some confidence, thinking, "it hasn't been that bad, I can do this!" Ironically Mike was reading an article by a friend of ours that had to do with the effects of the curse on child birth.  And he would read parts out loud intermittently which was very applicable to the situation!   About 2 hours later, we decided to have my doctor go ahead and break my water to speed things up and boy did it.  The next 45 min to an hour were to say the least very painful. I think I might have almost broke Michael's hand a few times.  

Jack Housely came quickly though, as we had hoped, so quickly in fact at the end Michael almost delivered him because my nurse didn't believe me when I said he was coming!  We were overjoyed at his arrival at 12:06 pm and were grateful to have  7 lb. 7 oz. & 20 inches of a  healthy adorable baby boy.  We did what we normally do... hugging, rejoicing, making phone calls and texting letting everyone know he was here, but soon we knew something wasn't quite right.  My doctor kept hanging around, even though she had other patients to see, and she and the nurse were looking concerned.  I was loosing too much blood for their comfort, and we soon came to find out my cervix had torn during delivery. As scary as a time as this was, we were so thankful to have lots of family and friends from our church were praying with us and for us.  God was gracious and my doctor found and repaired the tear quickly.  Although the rest of the day is pretty blurry to me as a result of the anesthesia from the operation knocking me out, we got into a room and were able to introduce Madeline, River and Gloria to their baby brother.  

From there, it's been smooth sailing... well as smooth as it can be I guess with 4 kids 5 years old and under :)  God has been kind to us, and though its challenging for sure, we are adjusting well to being a family of six I would say!

Praise God for a healthy Baby Boy!

I really don't know what I would have done without this man! 

My birthday boys


The biggest sister getting to hold JH for the first time

Gloria meeting JH... and she's been smitten with him since.

Celebrating Daddy's birthday with a cake Marmie and Maddie made

my three fellas
We had so many sweet friends come to visit the next day

Papa and Marmie with their 5th grand baby... I don't know what we would
have done without them either helping out so much with the other 3 munchkins!

Caitlin, one of the many cousins our little Jack Housley is blessed to have!

more friends...

and more friends... I'm sad I forgot to get pictures of a lot of people who came, sorry!

Precious Baby

and I can't leave out the cute door sign my sister made!

Ready to go home


2 comments:

Jenn Sutton said...

What a sweet post! God is so gracious!

MS Mom said...

Mariah- what a beautiful family you are blessed with. He is just adorable as are the others.
congrats!!!
Ms. Malinda Clay