Blog Description

Be JOYFUL always, PRAY without ceasing, give THANKS in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thess 5:16-18

Monday, August 5, 2013

"This is So Much Better than Cabela's"

.... that's what Maddie kept saying throughout our whole camping trip last Sunday.  It is quite an understatement to say that our kids LOVE the outdoors (hence why some of their favorite places to go are Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop).  Saturday morning they were romping around in their pjs with Michael while I was inside and they decided that we were going to take our first camping trip the next day as soon as church was over.  I have to say, I was slightly skeptical at the idea of taking our 4 kids 5yrs old and under on an overnight camping trip.  But they were so excited, including Michael, that I couldn't refuse. So we rushed home after church loaded the car (which included turning around in our neighborhood a few times because we had forgotten pillows, sleeping bags, you know essential camping gear!) and headed to Otter Creek about 30 minutes away.

It was a beautiful day.  I think 75 degrees might have been the high (in July) so we took advantage of it.  We got there, picked out the perfect camping spot, pitched the tent, and Michael went off to get some firewood.  
This is what he came back with

Rivers watching his dad's every move chopping up the wood


Of course my oldest was off picking wild flowers
 Then we headed down to the Blue Hole.  Michael had been telling us about this fishing spot and how beautiful it was... well he wasn't joking.  After a half mile hike with our little sweeties around the bin and down a hill, this is what we came to....



 Our kiddos had a blast splashing, fishing, and throwing rocks in the creek.  (Next time I need to remember to bring many more clothes and swim suits!)






Jack Housley was the perfect little camper and was loving the outdoors as well.
 We finally pulled the kids out of the creek and hiked back to go cook some dinner over the camp fire
 
This pretty girl sure does love to get dirty

They loved cooking over the fire 
We were seriously having as much fun as the kids

Dinner served!

Yum!

 And what would camping be without smores?  Other than the creek I think this was the highlight for the kids.



We sang songs and waited for the fireflies and stars to come out...

And played with flashlights of course

Then it was sweet dreams
The kids surprisingly slept like rocks, probably due to no nap and staying up until past 10 watching stars and fireflies.  For Michael and I it was a different story.  Not only was it slightly cramped and uncomfortable but at 3 am we heard a shrill scream and both jumped up.  I was terrified, thinking it must be a bobcat, and I could hear walking and rummaging right outside of my side of the tent where Jack Housley was sleeping at my feet. I snatched him up and held him tight.  Michael assured me it was just raccoons fighting over the banana we had left in our smaller cooler that they had knocked over.  I wasn't completely sure he was right, but for the next hour off and on we sat listening to them and finally saw them scurrying around our tent.  I don't know if I've seen many raccoons in my lifetime but these seemed like giant ones!  We finally drifted off to sleep and the kids actually slept in a bit.

 We woke up and cooked some breakfast over the campfire again. Maddie said she felt like she was Laura from Little House on the Prairie.

Rivers showing off the spider he caught

Sweet JH was the perfect camper... and loved his little quilt made bed
Overall it was a much more successful trip than I had envisioned and I think I can confidently say we will be doing more camping in our future!  I'm thankful for a spontaneous Hubby who likes to throw everything in the car and take off on a wild adventure at the last minute even when it seems unconventional.  I'm grateful for kids who love the outdoors and often would much rather be there than inside, and I'm beyond blessed that God's given me this life to live! What fun memories we made this first camping trip.... I'll never forget it.

No comments: